Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Date is Set!

It’s Official, I’ll be starting the drive west to sunny Californ-I-A on September 12th. I don’t have a job out there. I don’t have an apartment. And no, for the thousandth time, I am not moving out there because of a boyfriend. I’m not the type of girl who uproots her life, says goodbye to a home she’s loved and schleps all her worldly possessions to the other end of the country for some dude. If you know me, you know that. Some of my closest friends and family have expressed some concern over my seemingly unfounded desire to transplant myself. Some people need an explanation as to why I decided to go. Here it is: I’m 25 years old and I can. What better reason is there? When else in my life will I be able to just pick up and move simply because I want to try something new? I’m excited and I’m scared and I’m anxious to get started on a new chapter in my life. I do love the life I’ve built in Boston and I’ll miss it more than I know, I’m sure, but it’s time to go somewhere different. Meet new people, try new things. I’m looking forward to seeing where that takes me and knowing the people and places I find along the way.

3 comments:

  1. Soooo excited for your new endeavor. I completely agree with your reasoning too. I can't wait until I am done with school so I can say, "hey, I'm 28 years old and I can..." Somehow 28 seems verging on "I can't" though...but either way, here is my point - do it ALL while you CAN!!!! 'Cause why not? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do something! Picking up and moving away for no real reason is what I'm good at, and I will never regret a single move. I love the excitement of being in a new place, getting to know my surroundings and meeting a plethora of new and interesting people. Personally, I don't think you ever need a reason to pick up and relocate. I fact, I think having a reason would be more of a hinderance than not. It's certainly going to be a challenge, very stressful and lonely at times, but you'll come out of it a stronger, more confident person. You'll know that is something you are more than capable of doing, and it can be one of the most liberating, rewarding decisions of your life. Best of luck, Lea! I will miss you, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry the timing didn't work out to see you when I was in Boston! I had no idea what you were talking about when you said you'd be in CA when I'm back east in October...but good for you! I actually pulled the cross-country move because "I'm 23 and have nothing holding me back, so it's now or never!" It's been almost a year and a half out in Seattle, and though I LOVE the cooler summers and warmer winters, I'll probably end up back on the east coast. But it's definitely an awesome adventure and I'm super excited for you!!! One of these days we will meet up again and speak broken french at a bar, lol :)

    ReplyDelete