Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Multitasking

Things have been kind of crazy as of late so I have to apologize to my dozen or so followers for slacking. The blog had to take a backseat for a little while, but I'm back and in full swing. Because my calendar has been so chock full o' stuff, I've had to get a little creative in order to fit everything in.

Last weekend a close friend of mine and I had a yard sale. As everyone knows I'm moving in a few short weeks and the leftover college dorm craptastic stuff I've been using as a supplement to actual adult furnishings just won't fit into the Vibe. And even if it did, I don't like any of it enough to bring it 3,000 miles with me. As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure and both my friend and I had a fairly large number of the other man's treasures just waiting to be carried away. A lot of people argue that having a yard sale is a waste of a perfectly good Saturday morning. Here's what I learned from the exercise. 1. It's way less miserable to pack up boxes of stuff you don't want and carry them out of your home when the activity is not immediately followed by carrying all the stuff out of your home that you DO want. AKA, moving day becomes significantly less miserable when preceded by a yard sale. 2. You get an excellent workout carrying those boxes up and down stairs which means that's an hour on Saturday afternoon you gain back by not having to go to the gym (2 if you count the commute). 3. If you do said yard sale with a good friend the majority of the time translates into hanging out with someone you care about, which you'd probably be doing on a Saturday anyway. 4. You MAKE money as opposed to paying the garbage man to haul it away or giving it away for free. By my calculations I invested all of 1 extra hour (spent setting up) of my valuable time and I made some sweet moolah. So, to recap this particular multitasking event allowed me to check a dreaded chore off my list, fit in an excellent cardio workout , spend some quality time with a close friend, and make some fast cash. All in about 5 hours. Multitasking, I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I am going through moving torment too, so I appreciate the pain. I wish I had been there, we have similar taste and I think I would have been your number one customer!

    ReplyDelete