Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Left a Good Job in the City

One of the unpleasant side effects of ditching the J-O-B in search of a career is that you have to leave behind some really great people. (It also means not having health insurance, a paycheck or a place to steal pens from, but those are minor details). On Friday I said farewell to my three year employment at a snazzy investment firm downtown. It was sad. It was draining. It was the right thing to do. And I know that because, while I had a hard time saying goodbye to the friends I'd made, I had no trouble letting go of the desk. I gladly bequeathed my duties to New Girl and bid adieu to the responsibilities formerly known as mine. I can't remember the last time something felt so right. Still, it’s scary to dismiss the security of established employment. The wager of searching for something more is not without its risks.

A more prudent girl would have stayed with the sure thing gig, watched her 401k grow, found a guy and a diamond ring and a mortgage and a couple of kids. And maybe that prude will be me someday, but right now I’m more afraid of settling for the status quo than I am of the unknown.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And I’m not going to lose even one minute of sleep worrying about the way things might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment